Fire Displaces Two in Westhampton
BY EMILY ENGEL STAFF WRITER
Used by permission. Copyright GazetteNET.com
Photo by GORDON DANIELS
A fire early Thursday morning damaged a structure behind this one at 105 Main Road in Westhampton. The fire department identified the residents as David and Lorna Joly.
WESTHAMPTON - Two occupants of a Westhampton home were displaced Thursday by a fire they thought they had put out.
Westhampton Fire Chief Christopher Norris said Thursday his department was notified of a structure fire at 105 Main Road at 1:36 a.m. Thursday. The first arriving units found smoke coming from an attached apartment behind the main house.
The two occupants of the apartment, whom the department identified as David and Lorna Joly, were not harmed in the fire. Neither were David Joly's parents, Rene and Beatrice Joly, who live in the main house at the same address.
However, David and Lorna Joly were displaced from their apartment and on Thursday were being housed by the local chapter of the American Red Cross.
Rene and Beatrice Joly were pleased by the prompt response of the fire departments. "The firemen were terrific," said Rene Joly Thursday. "They were so concerned, and I've never seen anything like it before, only in the movies."
Damage to the structure was estimated at $50,000, the Fire Department said. According to an investigation by the state fire marshal's office, the blaze was ignited by papers left on a stove that was not properly turned off.
"There was an hour delay in contacting the fire department," said Norris. "The tenants attempted to put out the fire themselves, but it later rekindled."
The apartment had neither smoke nor carbon monoxide detectors, according to the investigation. Along with the Westhampton Fire Department, fire crews from nearby communities, including Easthampton, Northampton, Southampton, Chesterfield, Goshen, Williamsburg and Huntington, assisted in fighting the blaze.
(April 27, 2007)